Friday, April 24, 2009

Driver's License



I can officially drive!!! After two days of going from one office to another, take this test and that test, and paying money here and there, I finally have my driver's license.

Day one: Went with our national staff member who told me that since I already had a license from the States that it would not take long at all. We waited outside, thankfully it wasn't too hot, for this one particular officer to show put. Instead of him telling us that I just needed to pay money and get my photo taken, he wrote on my paper that I need to go through the whole process. What an experience!! First to the psychological doctor, he looked at me and in Arabic asked me if I was healthy. Of course I told him yes in Arabic and he laughed, don't think he expected a white person to speak Arabic to him. That was all he needed, along with money, I passed this part. Next stop, the vision test. I had to point to the direction the E was facing. The chart looked alot like our vision test in the States, except it only had on letter on it. Again, paid some money and passed the test.


Next was the written test. Walked into this room full of computers and was thinking oh my I already did this once in my life didn't think I would have to do it again in a different language. Thankfully, they let me take the paper test and after some talking they allowed our national staff to translate for me. Again paid some money and passed the test. Next stop was the driving test. There was only one other female in a group of about 25 people waiting to take the test. She was really nice and I learned that this was her second time to try and pass the test. Thank you, Daddy that you made me learn to drive a manual transmission!! The driving part only took like a minute. The key was to make sure you had on your seat belt, even though the nationals don't ever wear them. Passed the test and so did my new friend, which she thinks it was because I was there. After we both passed, her dad insisted that we go back to there house to celebrate. This was the end of the first day.

Day two: I was told that all today consisted of was paying more money, getting my photo taken and having the card made. When we arrived we were allowed to wait inside this time. But of course, the people taking the money were not in the office. Once they finally showed paid my money and waited some more to have my picture taken. Got my picture taken and waited till my card was ready. This day it only took 3 hrs and the total process was 8 hrs. I can drive though...if only I had a car to drive.

No comments: